Thursday 4 July 2013

July 3rd–A Day on the West End

This morning was another lazy morning – we are taking them while we can! Up at 9am, down for breakfast (a really unexciting sausage in bun) around 10am. From here we had some time to kill until the afternoon… as both of us have been here before and explored most of the famous sites we spent most of the morning ‘wandering’. We wandered down along South Bank (past a mini festival held in a venue modelled after an upside down purple cow?), past Big Ben, past Westminster Abbey and along to Trafalgar Square. From there we wandered around a few shops, grabbed some random Asian for lunch at ended up in Convent Garden.

IMG_3090   IMG_3095

I really do love London. Just like last time, it makes me feel so nostalgic and patriotic, a feeling I have a little trouble explaining. I am sure it has something to do with living in England for six months when I was little, growing up loving English authors, TV, movies etc. and my love of Horrible Histories books. There is just so much history every where you look here. Andy and I talked about maybe hiring a car one day and driving around the countryside and Lake District – I look forward to that immensely.

Anyway, back to Convent Garden. This afternoon we had a rather epic afternoon of theatre planned, Book of Mormon and then Rock of Ages. And what to say about these? Wow, I loved The Book of Mormon. I’d stayed away from it completely until now, so I didn’t know any of the story or songs. And everything about it was fabulous – the sets, the songs (I loved the references to other musicals), the jokes (even if they were extremely crude and inappropriate, I wouldn’t have expected anything less). We did have the understudy for Elder Price (woo, Wednesday matinee) which was unfortunate, but he was still very good. Time to find the soundtrack.

A random note, I have been ‘seeing’ people I know all week, but it was a little crazy to bump into Mark and Fiona at the same performance as us!

IMG_3103     IMG_3104

After that, a little walk around Soho, dinner at an English Pub across the road and off to Rock of Ages. We HAD originally planned to go on a Jack the Ripper Tour but Andy was really keen to see this show again (he saw it last year). The tour seems to be something that just isn’t happening (I cancelled it last year too) but was I really going to say no to more theatre? Book of Mormon was my favourite for the day but Rock of Ages is definitely a big spectacle! The leads had incredible voices and their version of Don’t Stop Believing made me forget completely about Glee! Everyone standing up and dancing at the end was lots of fun, even if we were exhausted.

Eventually, back to the hostel for some blogging and sleeeep. Off to Italy tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment